|First appearance:||Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand|
Ghoul (グール), also known by the nickname "Bok" (ボク), is one of the major enemies in the Boktai series, and also one of the most common. Ghouls are green zombie-like creatures created through the undeadening that serve the Immortals. If they spot an enemy, they attack with Klorofolun by summoning them to pursue the player in the first Boktai or spitting liquid Klorofolun in later games. They are very weak to sunlight. In the first Boktai they sleep between 6:00-6:30 a.m.
In Lunar Knights, standard Ghouls are red with black clothes (similar to Ghoul+ from previous games) and they don't use Klorofolun. They appear from the ground and attack enemies with bites.
In addition to normal green Ghouls, there are several other types:
- Zombie: Just like normal Boks, except grey with blue clothes and stronger.
- Ghoul+: Just like normal Boks, except red with black clothes and stronger than Zombies.
- Ghoul Ghost (Vanibok): Pale white ghouls which disappear when exposed to sunlight, but are very visible when in the dark.
- Icy Cool Ghoul (Chillbok): Blue ghouls with Frost property that attack with Chillun. The FLAME solar gun lens works well against them. Renamed Ice Ghoul in Lunar Knights.
- Fiery Hot Ghoul (Burnbok): Ghouls with Flame property that attack with Burrnun. The FROST solar gun lens works well against them. Renamed Hot Ghoul in Lunar Knights.
- Aero Ghoul: A Ghoul from Lunar Knights with Cloud property.
- Petro Ghoul: A Ghoul from Lunar Knights with Earth property.
A ghoul is a mythological monster from ancient Arabian folklore that dwells in burial grounds and other uninhabited places. The English word comes from the Arabic name for the creature: الغول al-ghūl, which literally means "demon".
A zombie is a creature that appears in folklore and popular culture typically as a reanimated corpse or a mindless human being. Zombies are a popular device in modern horror fiction.